Senior Center Announces August Schedule
Crab feasts, summer picnics and more are on the senior center schedule for August.
The Pasadena Senior Activity Center on Mountain Road announced the August schedule of activities. Here is what’s on the schedule:
The following information was compiled and submitted to Patch by Mary Felter, public information officer for Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities.
- Reservations are being taken now for the summer picnic to be held Friday at Kurtz’s Beach Club. Doors open at 11 a.m. with lunch served from noon to 2 p.m. Entertainment will be by Johnny Walker. The cost is $15. Sign up at the center front desk.
- Register by Tuesday for the Wellness Workshop with Jackie Churches. Topics cover simple movement and breathing exercises; nutrition and nutritional health, basic food groups, and basic bio-chemistry of internal food processing; concept of hardiness and the effects of mental well-being; and yoga and medication. Classes will be participatory, as well as lecture.
- Rosalie Falter of Chefs on the Go will present “Italian Dishes Featuring Summer’s Vegetables and Fruit” from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 8. The menu includes lacaprese-mozzarella and tomato salad using local produce, pasta made with fusilli or rotini pasta combined with cheese, lemon, and asparagus with fresh tarragon herb, dessert of parfait with ricotta and strawberry with whole milk, lemon and almonds. The class size is limited. Sign up by Aug. 1 at the front desk. The cost is $5.
- De-clutter and downsize for retirement with professional organizer Trish Walsh from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Aug. 10. Sign up by Friday to find out strategies for handling accumulated possessions over your lifetime in preparation for retirement.
- Sign up by Aug. 9 for the Grandparents Day and Ice Cream Social, with entertainment by Magician Mike Rose at 1 p.m. on Aug. 16. Grandparents can bring their grandchildren. Rose has performed at a presidential inaugural and the vice president’s home as well as dinner theaters, comedy clubs, festivals and corporate events.
- Registration for fall classes offered by Anne Arundel Community College at the center begins Wednesday. New subjects include Major Supreme Court Cases, History of the Chesapeake Bay, and World Religions. The class time for Beginning Italian is now 10 a.m. to noon. The deadline to register at the center is Sept. 12. Class size is limited, so register early for your desired classes.
- Sign up now for the crab feast trip to the Red Roost, all-you-can-eat crab house, in Whitehaven on the Delmarva Peninsula on Aug. 10. The menu includes unlimited number of crabs, chicken, shrimp, corn on the cob, ice tea, and entertainment. The trip also has a visit to the new brewery with a tour and taste of beer. The cost is $80. To sign up for a trip, you must be a current center member with undated information in the database and have a key tag. The trip desk is open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays.
- The trip committee plans Ride the Rails to West Virginia from Aug. 20-22, with two nights of lodging at the Canaan Valley Resort, two breakfasts, one lunch, two dinners, and riding two trains in one day—the Cheat Mountain Salamander and the Durbin. The trip includes the American Mountain Theatre, Seneca Caverns, and Blackwater Falls State Park. The cost is $425 double. See the trip desk on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. You must be a current center member to sign up.