Seventeen Anne Arundel County public educators and four private school teachers have been named semifinalists for the 2013 Anne Arundel County Teacher of the Year award.
Of the educators nominated, five are elementary school teachers, six teach at the middle school level, five teach at the high school level, and one teaches at a special school. Furthermore, ten of the county’s 12 high school clusters are represented by semifinalists.
The 17 public school finalists are:
- Lori-Ann Balzano, Davidsonville Elementary School
- Lesley Beavers, George Fox Middle School
- Danielle Bender, Mayo Elementary School
- Jennifer Bender, Chesapeake High School
- Jessica Francis Caldwell, Southern Middle School
- James Dell, North County High School
- Ruth Goldstraw, Old Mill High School
- Christiana Grue, Marley Middle School
- Joseph Hershfeldt, Northeast High School
- Amy Kostelnik-Insley, Jones Elementary School
- Allison Kuta, Meade Middle School
- Stacy Langhirt, Severna Park Elementary School
- Jenna Lerro, Annapolis Middle School
- Amy Miller, Linthicum Elementary School
- Denise Peach, Marley Glen School
- Michael Philip, Severna Park Middle School
- Jodie Stugard-Hogan, South River High School
The four private school finalists are:
- Debora Coates Consugar, The Summit School
- Tim Decker, Eagle Cove School
- Ellen Stanton, St. Martin's-in-the-Field Episcopal School
- Renee Tobin, Archbishop Spalding High School
A group of 52 Anne Arundel County teachers will be honored at the 27th annual Excellence in Education banquet at the BWI Marriott in Linthicum on April 29.
Five finalists for the 2012 Anne Arundel County Public Schools Teacher of the Year award will be announced in March. The winner will represent the county in the Maryland State Teacher of the Year competition.