Three students from Anne Arundel County Public Schools are semifinalists in the running to serve on the Maryland State Board of Education.
The students, all juniors at high schools in the county, were selected following an interview process with fellow students and one adult.
There will be an election on Jan. 26 to determine the two finalists for the board, and Gov. Martin O'Malley will make the final selection.
Students from Montgomery and Howard counties were also among the semifinalists.
Student members of the state board have limited voting rights. This is the first time since 2005 that Anne Arundel County has had a semifinalist.
One of the candidates, Christian Hodges of Arundel High School in Gambrills, currently represents the mid-Atlantic region for the National Association of Student Councils.
The candidates are:
- Kevin Adams, Glen Burnie High School
- Evan Elsmo, Annapolis High School
- Christian Hodges, Arundel High School
- Benjamin Feshbach, Thomas Wooten High School (Montgomery County)
- Amal Hassan, Long Reach High School (Howard County)