MD Teacher Shortage: Does Your District Have Enough Substitutes?
MARYLAND - Some Maryland school districts are battling an ongoing teacher shortage. The Baltimore Sun on Friday published a report on how that's affecting substitute teacher vacancies around the state. The Sun asked Maryland school districts, parents and unions about the status of local substitute teaching.
“When we have a shortage of educators, that will trickle down, and then when they’re out, you have a shortage of substitutes,” Cheryl Bost, union president at the Maryland State Education Association, told The Sun. “So all of this is all related to the educator shortage that we’re facing.”
The Sun reported that these are the substitute fill rates in districts across Maryland:
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools: No fill rate provided to The Sun. Patch requested the data. A spokesperson is gathering that information now and said "We do not have a shortage of subs at this time." We will update this story if we hear back. AACPS had 113 full-time teacher vacancies as of Jan. 31. That's about half the vacancies from the year prior.
- Baltimore City Public Schools: Didn't respond to The Sun's inquiries about its fill rate. Baltimore had 227 teacher vacancies as of August 2023 and 536 subs as of Dec. 19, 2023.
- Baltimore County Public Schools: 85.5% fill rate as of Dec. 1, 2023. That's up from 57% in the 2021-22 school year. That's when BCPS hired an outside contractor to recruit and train subs.
- Carroll County Public Schools: 95% fill rate on the Jan. 8 school day. CCPS did not provide The Sun with its average fill rate across the school year or its total number of teacher vacancies.
- Harford County Public Schools: 83% fill rate. HCPS has 113 subs with set schedules, 936 total subs and four teacher vacancies.
- Howard County Public School System: No fill rate provided to The Sun. HCPSS said most of its 38 teacher vacancies are filled by long-term subs and noted that it has 200 daily subs.
To hear how Maryland schools and families are handling the teacher shortage, read The Sun's full story.
More News from Pasadena
- 6 MD Hospitals Ranked Among World's Best: Newsweek These six Maryland hospitals were just ranked among the world’s best.
- Safeway-Harris Teeter Merger Meets Roadblock, MD Sues Owners Safeway and Harris Teeter want to merge, but Maryland is suing their owners. The chains have about 80 stores in the state.